The base of this dimensional triptych folio is created with a Tim Holtz Vintage Cabinet Card Base and Insert. I've added a fun shaker cover to the design to add even more depth and dimension.
This tutorial will show you how to prepare the base, add the paper liners and create the shaker cover. You can decorate according to your own taste. Click on photos to see all the detail.
Cut two sheets of 8.5" x 11 heavy weight cardstock to measure 8.5" x 6". Fold in half. Place on the Vintage Cabinet Card base so that the fold is just to the right of the cutting blade. Die cut.
Overlap the two die cuts to create a triptych base. You will need to trim 1/8" from the panel on the right so that the folio will close properly.
Cut 6 liners for the triptych base from Stamperia Blue Stars 12x12 Paper Collection. Ink the edges with Faded Jeans Distress Oxide Ink. Then add Frayed Burlap ink to just the edges.
Spritz the ink left on your craft mat with water and use it to custom dye 2 feet of white seam binding ribbon.
Adhere all the liners to the triptych base. You will need to trim 1/8" off the panel on the right so that it will close properly.
Fold the triptych to form a booklet with the folded spine on the left.
Stencil the flourish from Tim Holtz Mini Layering Stencil set #10 using Faded Jeans Distress Oxide Ink. Then use the TH Rays Stencil with Faded Burlap Ink.
Spritz the cover with Distress Resist Spray. (Place it in a box first to protect the surrounding area.) Then Heat Emboss with Ancient Amber Baked Texture Embossing Powder.
Add Stencil Stars with TH "Stars" Layering Stencil and Faded Jeans Distress Oxide Ink. Heat Emboss with Patina Oxide Baked Texture Embossing Powder.
Cut 2 frames by adding the insert to the Vintage Cabinet Card base. Make sure it is centered. Ink the edges as before.
Die cut clear cardstock or acetate packaging without the insert in place. Adhere to the back side of one of the frames. Add a double layer of foam tape to this frame & chipboard to the other.
Adhere the chipboard backed frame to the cover of the folio.
Add embossing ink to wings and crown of a fussy cut fairy. Heat emboss with Vintage Beeswax EP. Back with dimensionals and adhere inside frame along with fussy cut words.
Fill the cavity with shaker elements.
Carefully press the foam backed frame in place, being sure to line up the edges. Press firmly to seal. I painted the edges with Chipped Sapphire to cover the white foam core.
Heat emboss metal embellishments with Patina Oxide EP. Add ribbon and flowers. Tap leaves and flowers with Antique Linen Distress Paint.
Heat emboss a Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Hinge Clip with Patina Oxide EP. Add ribbon, mini roses and Typed Token charm to decorate. Use this to hold the folio closed.
Have fun decorating the inside of your folio with fussy cut images from the Blue Stars Paper Collection! Thanks for joining me! Happy crafting!
- Tim Holtz Vintage Cabinet Card Base Die & Insert
- Stamperia Blue Stars 12x12 Paper Pack
- Little Birdie Crafts Rosalind Grey Flowers
- LBC Daniela Cloud Cover Flowers
- LBC Beaded Micro Roses Grey Sky
- 2 sheets 8.5" x 11" heavy grey cardstock
- Clear Cardstock for shaker cover
- sequins, beads, etc to fill shaker
- foam tape
- Seth Apter Baked Texture EP Vintage Oxide
- Seth Apter Baked Texture EP Ancient Amber
- Seth Apter Baked Texture EP Vintage Beeswax
- Seth Apter BTEP Chunky Rust
- Embossing Ink Pad
- Embossing Pen
- Heat Tool
- Glue Gun
- Chipped Sapphire Distress Paint
- Antique Linen Distress Paint
- Frayed Burlap Distress ink
- Faded Jeans Distress Oxide Ink
- Metal Charms and Embellishments
- Custom Dyed Seam Binding Ribbon
- Tim Holtz Mini Layering Stencil Set #10
- Tim Holtz Layering Stencil "Rays"
- Distress Resist Spray
- Tim Holtz Stars Layering Stencil
North Carolina, USA