Make the rice by boiling 4 cups of water. when it boils add salt and rice.
When it starts to boil again, put a lid on the pot and turn the heat way down to low. Let it cook for about 35 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
The rice should be nice and fluffy.Set it aside.The rice needs to be made ahead of time so that it is at room temperature.
Heat 3 Tbs of oil in a large wok, skillet or kadhai. When the oil is hot, Cook until the mustard seeds start to pop, add in the curry or bay leaves,mustard seeds and dried red peppers.
Add in the split peas, urad dal, cashews, bell pepper, green chili, ginger, salt and onion. Saute everything for 10 minutes or until the dal has turned color and the bell pepper has gotten tender.
When everything is cooked, take the pan off the heat and add in the yogurt and sour cream if you're going to include it too.
Add the cooked, cooled rice to this mixture.
Stir it all together. Make sure everything is mixed in. Serve the salad at room temperature.
- 4.0c Water
- 2.0c Rice
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 1.0tsp Brown mustard seeds
- 4.0 Dried red chilies
- 10.0 Curry leaves or 4 bay leaves
- 3.0Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2.0Tbsp Yellow split peas
- 2.0Tbsp Split urad dal (optional)
- 1/2c Raw unsalted cashew pieces
- 1.0c Finely chopped onion
- 1.0c Finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1.0tsp Minced seeded green serrano chili
- 2.0tsp Peeled minced fresh ginger
- 1.0tsp Salt
- 2.0c Plain yogurt or soy or any non dairy yogurt
- 1/2c Sour cream (optional)