• In a bowl, mix together the flour, lemon zest, orange zest, and sugar.
• Add the melted butter and mix until the dough resembles a coarse meal. Add the eggs. Form the mixture into a ball and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
• Cut the dough into 4 equal-sized pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece of dough 1/4 -inch thick. Cut each piece into ½-wide strips.
Cut each strip of pastry into ½-inch pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a small ball about the size of a marble. Lightly dredge the dough balls in flour, shaking off excess.
• In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour enough oil to fill the pan about a third of the way. Heat over medium heat. In batches, fry the dough until lightly golden, about 2-3 minutes.
• Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
• In a large saucepan, combine the honey, sugar, and lemon juice over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat. Add the fried dough ad hazelnuts and stir until coated in the honey mixture. Allow the mixture to cool in the pan for 2 minutes.
• Using a large spoon or damp hands, arrange the struffoli around a plate to form a wreath. Drizzle any remaining honey mixture over the struffoli. Allow to set for 2 hours.
• Decorate with sprinkles and cherry glacè.
- 50.0g sugar
- 400.0g 00 flour
- 60.0g butter
- 3.0 eggs
- 2.0Tbsp lemon zest
- 1.0Tbsp orange zest
- 160.0g honey
- cherry glacé
- sugar sprinkles