1. In a large pan or skillet over medium to medium-low heat, cook spinach in water. Cover, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted and soft.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, and oil. Stir until crumbly.
3. Add the (hot or warm) spinach mixture, including the water left in the pan from cooking. Knead or stir, adding additional flour as needed to make a smooth dough. Knead dough for about 5 minutes.
4. Divide dough into 8 parts (for 10 to 12-inch tortillas) or more (for smaller tortillas).
5. Pre-heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. If using a cast iron or non-stick griddle or pan, you won't need oil (although you can use a little if you wish).
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough portion into a thin circle (or other shape if desired).
7. Brown tortillas in pre-heated pan for about 5 minutes on each side, just until cooked. A few light brown spots should appear.
I usually start cooking the tortillas while I'm still rolling out the rest of the dough. Stack cooked tortillas on a plate or in a bowl with a clean towel around them, until all are cooked.
- 5 cups packed, chopped spinach
- 1 tbsp. water
- 2+ cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt or garlic salt/powder
- Dash of pepper
- 1/4 cup oil
Bethany Beach, Delaware