Supplies: large saucepan, wooden sooon, dry measures, knife, chopping board
Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat.
Add onion and garlic.
Saute until the onions start to turn translucent; lower heat if browning starts to occur.
Add spices; saute a minute or so.
Add tomatoes, chickpeas, broth and sugar.
Season with a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
Bring to a simmer, then bring heat to low and gently simmer for 45 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in spinach.
Heat for a couple of minutes until spinach is wilted and heated thoroughly; serve.
- 60.0ml Extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1.0 Large onion, medium diced
- 7.0 Cloves garlic, pressed
- 5.0ml Ground cinnamon
- 5.0ml Ground cumin
- 0.63tsp Cayenne pepper
- 5.0ml Sweet Paprika
- 1.0 (415g) Can of chopped tomatoes
- 3.0 (430g) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 940.0ml Vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 5.0ml Sugar
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1.0 140 grams spinach