Understand first that this is a very unconventional recipe. The goal was to use the least amount of dishes possible. I hope you enjoy; sorry there are no pictures, but it's a pretty simple recipe!!!
1) Preheat oven to 350. Line your cupcake tins with paper or foil liners. (You can spray or grease and sugar the pans but it just doesn't work as well.)
2) In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a hand mixer. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat in milk, extracts, sour cream, and cream cheese. Then, beat in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
3) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in lined cupcake tins. While the cupcakes bake, it's time to make the filling.
4) Dump the confectioners sugar in a medium bowl. Add milk a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Mix in the extract, shredded coconut, and 3-4 drops of food coloring if using.
When the cupcakes are done and a little cooler take them out of the tins. If the tops accidentally come off when you take them out of the tins, DO NOT TRASH THE CUPCAKES! Phew! Sorry about that. :)
Now twist off the tops of the cupcakes. (Yes, you heard me right.) Press your thumb into the center of the topless cupcake to make a little crater.........
...........spoon a little bit of frosting filling into the crater and replace the tops. DO NOT EAT YET!!!!!!!! Place the cupcakes in the fridge for one or two hours. It is a long wait but worth it.
Enjoy your chilled cupcakes! I'll try to post pictures next time I make them.
- 1/2c All-Purpose Flour
- 1.0c Cocoa Powder
- 1.0tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 1.0c Butter, softened (not melted!)
- 2.0c Sugar
- 4.0 Eggs (5 if at elevation)
- 1.0c Sour Cream
- 3/4c Cream Cheese
- 1/2c Milk (3/4 cup if at elevation)
- 1.0tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1.0Tbsp Pure Almond Extract
- For the Filling:
- 1.0c Butter, softened
- 1/4tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2.0tsp Coconut Extract
- 1/3c Shredded Coconut
- 4.0c Confectioners Sugar
- 1/2c Milk
- Optional - Food Coloring