Assemble all your ingredients and supplies
Dice the celery, onion and mince the garlic on chopping board
Take a large pot ( mine happens to be over 100 yrs old since it was one my grandma used and I love it!) Add your butter and oil over med heat.
Melt the butter in the oil. ( the oil gives the butter a higher burn temp so it doesn't burn on you )
Add onion, celery and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add garlic then so it doesn't burn.
Add chopped broccoli to the pot .
Add your 2 cups of water,
Add your spices
Add your 4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth. ( I used the vegetable stock that comes jellied already to which you add water to )
Bring to a boil then decrease heat to a simmer . Simmer for approximately 8 minutes.
I used my new immersion blender I got for Christmas .
Blend all the ingredients together until smooth or less if you like broccoli chunks in your soup. Be careful when blending hot liquids that you don't burn yourself from it splashing out.
If using a standing blender do it in 2-3 batches so it doesn't run over and burn you OR make a mess.
Ladle your soup into a bowl...top with cheese or croutons and yell "SOUPS ON!! " Enjoy. Can be refrigerated for 3-4 days or freeze for 3 months.
- Large cooking pot
- 1.0Tbsp Butter
- 1.0Tbsp Extras virgin olive oil
- 1.0 Med Onion diced
- 1.0 Celery stalk diced
- 2.0 Cloves of garlic minced
- 1.0tsp Thyme
- 8.0c Chopped fresh broccoli
- 2.0c Water
- 4.0c Chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2c Half & half (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blender or Immersion blender
- Spoon or high heat spatula for stirring
- 1.0 Cutting board and sharp knife
- 1.0 Measuring cups and spoons
- 1.0 Stove top burner or heating plate
- Cheese , croutons, bowl and spoon
- Loud voice to yell "soups on"