Pre-heat your over to 375 degrees F (190 C) since you'll finish the dish in the oven.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until very soft. Add the sliced garlic and cook until tender for another 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the cumin, paprika and cayenne. Mix well so that all of the veggies are covered; allow to cook for 1 minute.
Roughly chop tomatoes and keep their juices. Next, add tomatoes and juices to skillet and season with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Let simmer until tomatoes have thickened; about 10 minutes.
Stir in crumbled feta or haloumi.
Gently crack eggs over tomatoes and lightly season with salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to preheated oven and bake until eggs are just set; 7 to 10 minutes.
Pull the shakshuka out of the oven and sprinkle the top with parsley. Enjoy with warm bread on the side - sahtein!
- 6.0 Eggs
- 1.0 Onion diced
- 3.0 Cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1.0 Red bell pepper diced
- 1.0 28oz can whole plum tomatoes
- 1.0tsp Ground cumin
- 1.0tsp Sweet paprika
- 1/8tsp Cayenne powder (or to taste)
- 3/4tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4tsp Ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 5.0oz Crumbled Haloumi or Feta cheese
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley to garnish
- 3.0Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil