Preheat oven to 300F (150C)
Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Add eggs (1 at a time), Beat well.
Mix in molasses and juice.
Add almonds in along with raisins, currants, candid fruit, cherries, lemon peel and orange peel.
Add your rum. (Or you can do this step after cake has baked letting it soak in wrapping in wax paper and foil and letting cool)
Mixed batter to look like this.
Grease a deep 8-inch round cake pan with wax paper. Put batter into pan.
Bake for 2.5hrs or until toothpick comes out clean
Makes 12 servings.
- 1.0c Butter at room temprature
- 1.0c Dark brown sugar
- 4.0 Eggs
- 2.0Tbsp Molasses
- 1.0Tbsp Lemon juice or orange juice
- 1/2c All purpose flour, sifter
- 1.0tsp Pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/2tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/4tsp Ground mace or nutmeg
- 1.0c Dark raisins
- 1.0c Golden raisins
- 2.0c Currants
- 1/2c Chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2c Chopped blanched almonds
- 1/2c Red candid cherries, quartered
- 1.0 Grated peel of a lemon
- 1.0 Grated peel of a small orange
- 4.0Tbsp Brandy
- 1/4tsp Baking powder