Mochi (Japan) or Injeolmi (Korean) is a famous Asian treats / dessert. It is chewy & sweet in taste.
Mochi base is basically the same. The ony different is its filling.For instance, there are red bean / green bean filling mochi. The colour also vary according to the flavour.
• This recipe shows how to make plain Mochi dipped in peanuts & sugar mixture. • If you use this recipe to make mochi with filling, you can get approximately 6 medium size mochi
• pour a cup of glutinous flour inside a bowl *Pls use a bowl that can be use inside a microwave*
• Add 1/4 teaspoon of SALT (or according to taste)
• Add 1 tablespoon of SUGAR (or more according to taste). * Don't put too much if u want to make a sweet filling or dip inside a sugar mixture like this recipe later*
• Pour 3/4 cup of water into the flour mixture *If you want to make a colorful mochi, add the colouring inside the water*
• You can use "green tea water" for green tea mochi • If you want to make red bean paste filling, you can add a few drops of red colouring to make pink mochi. • other option: green tea powder
• After mixing it well, use plastic wrapper and wrap your bowl • Set microwave 3 MINUTES on HIGH * LEAVE a small GAP to let your flour mixture "breathe" while getting steam in microwave
• meanwhile, take your almond (or your choice of nuts) & pour it inside the dry grinder. • grind for only few secs (dont let it turn into powder, you want abit of crunch taste when eating it!) ;D
• After 3mins this is how its going to look like • take it out of microwave & give it a good pound (50times) • this is to make sure it cook evenly
• set your microwave for 1 minutes on HIGH and put back the bowl * don't forget to COVER back the bowl after pounding/mixing it and leave a small gap
• After 1min take the bowl out. The mixture will look thicker & sticky • whisk / pound it again for a minute / 70 times * to let the mixture stop sticking to your spatula, wet it with cold water
* the point of pounding your dough / mixture is to make the texture chewy. The more you pound the better the texture / chewy the mochi will be
• sprinkle the counter with flour • take out the dough from the bowl • form the dough into shape *wet your hand & knife/ cutter with water (so the doughy wont stick when cutting it)
• dip the mochi inside the mixture of peanuts & brown sugar (I forgot to take pic of mixing these 2 thing..sorry) -_-"
• If you dislike this step, you can change by adding filling such as red bean / green bean paste / chocolate or even Nutella! Whatever you like!) and then form it into round ball.
And now your mochi is ready to be eaten! Hope you enjoy this recipe & have fun experimenting this recipe to suits your taste ;)
- 1.0c Glutinous rice (sweet rice flour)
- 0.0tsp Salt
- 0.0c Water
- 1.0Tbsp Sugar
- 0.0c Chopped peanuts / almonds (any kind you like)
- 0.0c Brown sugar
Somewhere over the rainbow