First get all your mise en place together.
Stir together yeast and 1 tablespoon warm water. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes until foamy.
Mix together flour, salt, oil, yeast mixture and the other 1 1/3 cups of warm water in a large bowl until a soft dough forms.
Add jalapeno and 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, mix until well combined.
Scrape the dough from the sides into the center, then cover bowl with a kitchen towel and place at warm room temperature until doubled in bulk, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Then let rise for 8-12 hours in fridge
Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and form into a 11 by 8 inch rectangle with floured hands. Fold into thirds, pressing along seam of each fold to seal.
Put dough, seam side down, in oiled 9 by 5in pan. Cover pan with same kitchen towel and let dough rise in a draft-free place at room temp. until dough completely fills pan- 1 to 1/4 hrs.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush loaf with egg then sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese. Bake for about 50minutes to an hour.
Bake until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom. Run knife around edge of pan to loosen loaf then let cook all the way on a baking rack. Enjoy.
- 1.0tsp active dry yeast
- 3/4c warm water (105-115 °F)
- 1.0tsp warm water(105-115°F) for dry yeast foam mixture
- 4.0c flour plus additional for dusting
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/4c olive oil
- 3.0Tbsp chopped pickled jalapeno, including seeds and ribs
- 2.0Tbsp chopped pickled jalapeno, without seeds and ribs
- 1/2c grated cheddar cheese
- 2.0Tbsp grated cheese (for top)
- 1.0 large egg, beaten with a pinch of salt